Tuesday, March 27, 2012

South Sudan said the Islamic North Sudan air force had bombed the main oil fields.



South Sudan said the Islamic North Sudan air force had bombed the main oil fields.(AlArabiya).South Sudan said the Sudanese air force had bombed the main oil fields in Unity state near the border with Sudan on Tuesday, as violence between the two escalated.
This morning as you called I heard the Antonov hovering over Bentiu town because it has just dropped some bombs in the main Unity oil fields,” Unity state information minister Gideon Gatpan told Reuters.“It has now gone back, possibly for refueling, and may come back,” he said by phone.
Sudanese army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad could not be reached on his mobile phone but Asian oil group GNPOC -- the Greater Nile Petroleum Operating Company, a consortium led by China’s CNPC -- operating in Unity state confirmed the bombing.
The war planes are hovering everywhere ... One bomb actually just missed Unity base camp but anywhere else so far there is no information,” said Vice President Chom Juaj.“They bombed the oil field but so far we are still waiting for the report from the field telling us if they are damaged or not,” he said.
The attack comes a day after a rare direct military confrontation in the poorly marked border region, prompting Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir to suspend a visit next week to South Sudan, according to Sudanese state media.
Earlier on Tuesday, Sudan accused South Sudan of hatred and deceit as U.N. chief Ban Ki-Moon appealed for calm.
Comments by the South’s leader, Salva Kiir, that his military forces had taken the northern oil center of Heglig “reflected extreme hatred to Sudan and its people and the armed forces,” the official SUNA news agency said, citing Information Minister Abdullah Ali Massar.
The South had engaged in “deceptive and misleading acts” when it signed accords with Khartoum at African Union-led talks in Ethiopia, and when it sent a delegation to Khartoum last week to invite Bashir to the summit, said Massar, according to AFP.Ban called on the two countries to end the clashes and respect the agreements on border security they had already reached, his spokesman Martin Nesirky said. Kiir warned of the threat of war after what he said had been Sudanese ground and air attacks on multiple positions in South Sudan’s oil-rich border regions. “This morning the (Sudanese) air force came and bombed... areas in Unity state.”Their troops had fought back and taken Heglig, he added.“After this intensive bombardment our forces.... were attacked by SAF (Sudan Armed Forces) and militia,” he added, speaking at the opening of a ruling party meeting in the southern capital Juba.
It is a war that has been imposed on us again, but it is they (Khartoum) who are looking for it,” said Kiir, adding that he did not want the conflict to resume.
Sudanese army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad initially said “limited clashes” had occurred between his forces and those of South Sudan along the border.Hmmmm..........As i predicted that did not take long.Read the full story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...