Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Iranian Defense Minister: "Iran's Defense Pact with Syria Still Valid."
Iranian Defense Minister: "Iran's Defense Pact with Syria Still Valid.".(Fars)."The (defense) agreement remains valid but Syria has not made any demand from Iran in this regard," Vahidi said, speaking to reporters at the end of a cabinet meeting here in Tehran on Wednesday. "Of course" the minister stated "Syria is facing terrorist threats and is confronting the problem well by itself." Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011 with organized attacks by well-armed gangs against Syrian police forces and border guards being reported across the country. The three-decade-old alliance between Iran and Syria was bolstered in 2006, when they signed an agreement on military cooperation. Iran and Syria signed the agreement on June 15, 2006 for military cooperation against the "common threats" presented by the Israeli occupying regime and the US. In a joint press conference at the time, the then Defense Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar and visiting Syrian counterpart Hassan Turkmani said their talks had been aimed at consolidating their defense efforts and strengthening support for one another. "Our cooperation is based on a strategic pact and unity against common threats. We can have a common front against Israel's threats," Turkmani told reporters after two intensive rounds of talks with Najjar at the time. "Our cooperation with the Iranians against Israeli threats is nothing secret and we regularly consult about this with our friends," he said.Read the full story here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment