Friday, June 28, 2013
Iran signals no scaling back in nuclear activity despite victory of 'moderate' Rouhani.
Iran signals no scaling back in nuclear activity despite victory of 'moderate' Rouhani.(JPost). ST PETERSBURG, Russia - Iran will press ahead with its uranium enrichment program, its nuclear energy chief said on Friday, signaling no change of course despite the victory of a relative moderate in the June 14 presidential election.
Fereydoun Abbasi-Davani, head of the Islamic Republic's Atomic Energy Organization, said production of nuclear fuel would "continue in line with our declared goals. The enrichment linked to fuel production will also not change."
Speaking through an interpreter to reporters at a nuclear energy conference in St Petersburg, Russia, he said work at Iran's underground Fordow plant - which the West wants Iran to close - would also continue. Iran refines uranium at Fordow that is a relatively close technical step away from weapons-grade.
Iran says it is enriching uranium to fuel a planned network of nuclear energy power plants, and also for medical purposes.
But enriched uranium can also provide the fissile material for nuclear bombs if processed further, which the West fears may be Tehran's ultimate goal.
Abbasi-Davani said Iran's so far only nuclear power plant - which has suffered repeated delays - had been "brought back online" three days ago and was working at 1,000 megawatt capacity. A UN nuclear agency report said in May that the Russian-built Bushehr plant was shut down, giving no reason.
"Thankfully in the last days, no concrete defects with the plant have been reported to me," Abbasi-Davani said. Asked whether there would be any change in Iranian policy after Rouhani's election and whether it could suspend 20 percent enrichment, Abbasi-Davani said Iran's nuclear program was aimed at producing electricity and for medical purposes.
"In line with these two goals of course the production of energy will not stop," he said.
Fordow is under the monitoring of the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency, he said. "So in line with our declared plans ... we will of course continue our work at this center."
Iran will soon hand over to the Vienna-based IAEA a list with plans for new nuclear reactor sites, he said, speaking in front of a model of the Bushehr reactor at the Islamic state's stand at the nuclear industry fair in St Petersburg.Read the full story here.
Labels:
Fordow,
Iran,
New axes of Evil,
nuclear arms race
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment