Showing posts with label ex Syria fighters. Show all posts
Showing posts with label ex Syria fighters. Show all posts
Monday, February 29, 2016
Dutch authorities identified about 30 war crimes suspects, a third of them Syrians.
Dutch authorities identified about 30 war crimes suspects, a third of them Syrians. (JPost).
Dutch authorities identified about 30 war crimes suspects, a third of them Syrians, among the 59,000 people who applied for asylum last year, the immigration minister said on Monday.
Klaas Dijkhoff released the data in a letter amid an increasingly heated debate over immigration, stoked by an increase in arrivals from war zones across the Middle East.
He was responding to questions from members of parliament, many of whom have been calling on the government to start sending back migrants who are suspected of atrocities, or break Dutch laws.
Ten of the suspects were from Syria and the rest from Eritrea, Sudan, Nigeria, Georgia and other countries, he added, without going into further details. Read the full story here.
Monday, December 21, 2015
Indonesia: Plot foiled to kill officials, 240 returned ex Syria fighters are monitored.
Indonesia: Plot foiled to kill officials, 240 returned ex Syria fighters are monitored. (CNSNews).
Indonesian police said Monday they have foiled a plot to kill government officials, law enforcement officers and others by suspected Muslim militants arrested over the weekend.
Information from the U.S., Australia and Singapore helped Indonesian police discover that the attacks were planned for the year-end holiday season, national police chief Gen. Badrodin Haiti said.
"This is the result of sharing intelligence to combat international evil," Haiti said. "There is a possibility of other groups, and we will continue to pursue them."
Anti-terror police arrested nine men over the weekend in five cities on Indonesia's main island of Java.
They have expertise in shooting and bomb-making because of their membership in Jemaah Islamiyah, an al-Qaida-linked Southeast Asian group blamed for the deadly 2002 nightclub bombings on the Indonesian resort island of Bali, Charlian said.
"This group has collaborated with those who returned from war in Syria," he said. "They want to perform a 'concert' to attract international news coverage of their existence here."
He cited a document seized from the group that described the planned attacks as a "concert."
Charlian said police have identified about 240 people who have returned home out of at least 800 Indonesians who have traveled to the Middle East to join IS. "They are under our close observation. ... If any of them attempt terrorist activities, we can immediately arrest them," Charlian said. Read the full story here. More here.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)