Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Yemen suicide bombing kills 22 inside Sana’a police academy.
Yemen suicide bombing kills 22 inside Sana’a police academy.(AA).A suicide bomber killed at least 22 people, mostly cadets, inside a police academy in Sana’a on Wednesday in an attack that bore the hallmarks of al-Qaeda, police investigators said. The investigators said dozens of people leaving the academy at the end of the day’s training sessions, were injured in the attack also. “The suicide bomber blew himself up at the police academy in Sana’a and killed at least 22 people and wounded dozens,” an official told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity. Medics at the scene said dozens more were wounded in the explosion at the entrance to the police academy, according to Reuters. In May, a suicide bomber in army uniform struck at the heart of Yemen's military establishment, killing more than 90 people during a rehearsal for an army parade in the capital Sana’a. The attack was claimed by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which U.S. officials have described as the most dangerous franchise of the global militant network. Islamist militants linked to al-Qaeda have vowed to carry their fight across Yemen after a U.S.-backed military offensive in May drove them out of strongholds they took last year during protests against former President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s rule.Read the full story here.
Labels:
al-Qaeda,
Islam,
Islamic extremism,
Islamic terrorism,
Islamophobia,
Yemen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment