Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Syrian crisis far from over as Pres Obama pledges $155 Million Dollars in additional aid to 'Syrian Spring'.
Syrian crisis far from over as Pres Obama pledges $155 Million Dollars in additional aid to 'Syrian Spring'.(RT).The UN special envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, is expected to tell the Security Council that he has no plan that could end Syria's civil war. It comes as the US pledges $155m to aid rebel groups which have so far failed to organize or enter talks.
The UN Security Council meeting comes after a US supported push to unify rebel groups, encouraging the country’s opposition to form military councils in each of Syria’s 14 provinces.
Representatives of various groups took Washington’s advice to form the councils, and elected a 30-member Supreme Military Council last December.
The groups were intended to serve as a central opposition force which would receive arms and other support from Washington – and break away from groups that favor a government based on Islamic law, such as the al-Qaeda linked Nusra Front.
But despite western efforts, the council groups have so far failed to become the country’s leading opposition force.
Members of the military councils are blaming the US and its allies for failing to provide aid, claiming Washington’s big talk failed to be met with any action.
“They had this plan, but no one received any support,” said Mahmoud, a Syrian-American who has set up a small rebel training camp in northern Syria, who told McClatchy Newspapers. Mahmoud relies solely on support from individual donors.
But unsurprisingly, Washington is singing an entirely different tune.
“I think we’ve seen Assad’s grip on power in Syria continue to lessen. We continue to take steps with our partners to provide both humanitarian aid and non-lethal assistance to the opposition and to work with our partners to help bring about a post-Assad Syria that reflects the will of the Syrian people,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said in a statement.
President Barack Obama has announced that Washington will provide $155 million in new humanitarian assistance to Syrians.
“For nearly two years, the Assad regime has waged a brutal war against the Syrian people — murdering innocent men, women and children in their homes, in bread lines and at universities,” Obama said in a video statement announcing the aid.
He said the assistance would go for clothing and blankets to protect from the winter, and medicine and food.
The aid comes as US aid and refugee officials visit Turkey and the camps for uprooted Syrians. The officials will head to Jordan on Saturday.
The US has already sent more than $200 million in aid to Syria since the uprising began in March 2011.
Last Wednesday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called the opposition’s desire to overthrow Assad an “obsession.” He said as long as the demand is in place, fighting will continue and “people will die.”
That demand, for Assad to depart, continues to be supported by the US and its western allies – and the fighting shows no signs of letting up.
The opposition has reportedly instigated its own violence on a number of occasions.
“The rebel forces have been trained to oust the existing government of Syria and their training has been that of massacring the civilian population and attacking all possible sides,” Editor-in-Chief of Strat-EU magazine told RT.Hmmm......Cutting down the US Marines while distributing money in the Middle East. Read the full story here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment