UN first announces, then retracts new Canadian funding for UNRWA. (TOI).
The United Nations has retracted a statement saying Canada will resume contributing funds to the UN relief agency that aids and protects Palestinian refugees.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said late Wednesday that the UN statement on the meeting of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau welcoming the restart of funding for UNRWA was an early draft sent by mistake “that did not properly reflect” their discussion.
Canada stopped funding UNRWA under former prime minster Stephen Harper. UNRWA marked its 65th anniversary last year. Ban said at the time that the agency was never meant to exist for 65 years but “exists because of political failure.”
HT And Source:
After meeting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, UN announces new Canadian funding for @UNRWA—then retracts announcement https://t.co/3k0EoJDWDY— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 17, 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment