Showing posts with label nuclear arms talks. Show all posts
Showing posts with label nuclear arms talks. Show all posts

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Defense expert: ‘Strike or diplomatic solution on Iran likely within 12 months’


Defense expert: ‘Strike or diplomatic solution on Iran likely within 12 months’.HT: JPost.

The coming 12 months will likely see either a military strike or a diplomatic solution on Iran’s nuclear program, a senior Israeli defense expert told The Jerusalem Post on Saturday.
Brig.-Gen. (res.) Nitzan Nuriel, a research associate at the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism, and a former director of the Counter- Terrorism Bureau, spoke before the ICT’s World Summit on Counter-Terrorism, which will begin in Herzliya on Sunday.
“My assessment is that the coming year will see a milestone in the international efforts against Iran’s nuclear program. It will either take the form of offensive actions, or an agreement with Iran.
The year cannot pass without activities that will significantly change the arena,” Nuriel said.
Iran might make an 11th-hour concession that will lead to an agreement with the international community, he said.
Turning to Syria, Nuriel said that an arms development center near Damascus, which also produces chemical weapons, would make a natural target in any US strike on the Assad regime.
The Scientific Studies and Research Center, known by its French acronym, CERS, should be on the US’s target list, he said.
“This is a center that develops all types of weapons, including nonconventional arms,” he said. “This is the place where the Syrian regime realizes its fantasies on military technologies, and therefore it is fit for destruction.”
Intelligence agencies from various countries have spent years trying to figure out what is being developed at CERS, Nuriel noted. “It’s a target,” he said.
Asked if the decision by US President Barack Obama to delay a strike on Syria might embolden Iran, Nuriel said he doubted that would happen.
The Syrians are really not like the Iranians. They don’t have the same daring as the Iranians, the same thinking, or the same goals.
The comparison does not add up. There is no connection between these arenas.
Nuclear capabilities can’t be compared to chemical capabilities. Syria’s chemical weapons haven’t made a huge impression. We have the ability to take defensive and offensive action against them. I would not extrapolate from what is taking place with Syria to Iran. I wouldn’t advise the Iranians to take away any lessons from Syria,” he said.
As Syria continues to attract radical Sunni jihadi elements, Nuriel warned that pro-al-Qaida forces are “alive and kicking everywhere” in the region. “In some places, this is a counter- reaction to extremist Shi’ite jihadists. There’s a rivalry between the two camps. In the midst of their confrontation, they can attack Western and Israeli targets, too. The Sunni jihad is already here. It’s in Sinai, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan.”Hmmmm.......Does Iran need another twelve months ?Read the full story here.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Western official: "Iran yet to give 'concrete response' to nuclear offer," Iran claims it did offer new proposal.


Western official: "Iran yet to give 'concrete response' to nuclear offer," Iran claims it did offer new proposal.(HD).Iran has yet to give a clear response to a proposal from world powers for ending the decade-long dispute over its nuclear programme, Western officials said on Friday after a first round of talks in Almaty.

"There has not yet been a clear and concrete response to the E3+3 Almaty I proposal" that the powers made at the last nuclear negotiations at the same venue in February, a Western official said in a statement to AFP also backed by a second source.

"Their presentation was pretty much a repetition of what they put forward in Moscow ( at talks last year). There were some not fully explained general comments on our ideas," said the official, who requested not to be named.

"We have insisted that at this afternoon's plenary at 4:45 pm (1045 GMT) that they respond in the kind of detail that will enable us to make progress," the Western official said.

[…]

"This morning, Dr. Jalili (Iran's chief negotiator) presented the opposite side with Iran's specific proposals for the start of a new round of cooperation between the G5+1 and Iran," Jalili's deputy, Ali Baqeri, told reporters in a press conference in Almaty on Friday.

"These proposals have been regulated within the framework of Iran's overall plan presented in Moscow," added Baqeri, who is an Undersecretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) and the second man in the Iranian team of negotiators.

"On the very same basis, the proposal that Jalili offered to the representatives of the G5+1 countries this morning presented a specific framework to the opposite side," the Iranian negotiator added.

According to Baqeri the talks will continue this afternoon and, if necessary, tomorrow in a bid to provide both sides with an opportunity to exchange their views to pave the ground for cooperation.

Baqeri had also on Thursday informed the media that the Islamic Republic would enter the new round of talks with the G5+1 group with clear, groundbreaking proposals. Hmmmmm.....Iran: Tehran has offered the six world powers a set of specific proposals for the start of a new round of cooperation. So Who's LYING?Read the full story here, more here.

Updated: More here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...