Obama's "responsibility to protect" doctrine gives birth to the 'Atrocities Prevention Board'.(GC). For Immediate Release 20 April 2012.
GLOBAL CENTRE FOR R2P APPLAUDS PRES. OBAMA’S ANNOUNCEMENT OF ATROCITIES PREVENTION BOARD
On Monday, April 23, President Obama is expected to announce the official launch of the Atrocities Prevention Board (APB), which stems from the President’s 2011 study directive on mass atrocity prevention. The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect welcomes this announcement as a key step in strengthening the U.S. government’s capacity to respond to genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and ethnic cleansing. “With mass atrocity crimes occurring in Syria, Sudan, DR Congo and elsewhere, President Obama has displayed that the U.S. is prepared to be a global leader when it comes to upholding the Responsibility to Protect,” said Dr. Simon Adams, Executive Director. “The APB should be an institutional antidote to inaction and indifference in the face of conscience shocking crimes, wherever they may occur in the world.” “The formation of the APB sends a strong signal that preventing mass atrocity crimes is a core commitment for the United States government. We believe that the APB, working with the international community, can save lives. This is a historic moment in the struggle against mass atrocity crimes.” The Global Centre anticipates that the recommendations laid out by the APB will encourage other states to implement similar measures to strengthen their capacities to respond to the world’s mass atrocity crimes. In particular it calls upon states to appoint a high-level government official as a Focal Point representative, an initiative launched by the Global Centre in partnership with the governments of Denmark, Ghana, Costa Rica and Australia in an effort to institutionalize the Responsibility to Protect at the national level. Thirteen states have named Focal Points to date.Read the full story here.
Obama’s initiative grew out of a presidential directive last year that the US consider prevention of mass atrocities and genocide “a core national security interest and core moral responsibility” of the 21st century, Rice said.
The new board will be chaired by Samantha Powers, the National Security Council senior director for multilateral and humanitarian affairs and another interventionist hawk.Who proposed invading Israel!
And some experts say Obama’s directive targeting the perpetrators of mass atrocities who use new technologies – as well as the suppliers of those technologies to the violators – has particular promise.Hmmmm............Expect a lot of "Kinetic Military Action"......Goodbye Congress let the GLOBAL CENTRE FOR R2P and the Atrocities Prevention Board decide where to send the drones and declare War!Read the full story here.
No comments:
Post a Comment