Tuesday, January 6, 2015

'Neo Ottoman Conqueror' Turkey resumes seismic survey inside Cypriot EEZ


'Neo Ottoman Conqueror' Turkey resumes seismic survey inside Cypriot EEZ. (CyprusMail).

Turkey issued a new navigational warning on Tuesday for seismic surveys inside Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone.

A similar action in October prompted President Nicos Anastasiades to pull out of reunification talks.

In the warning, or NAVTEX, posted on Turkey’s Office of Navigation, Hydrography, and Oceanography, Ankara said it will conduct seismic surveys inside the island’s EEZ between January 6 and April 6.

The surveys will be carried out by Barbaros, which had been berthed in Famagusta.

On Monday, Anastasiades said it was impossible for him to participate in reunification talks as long as Turkey violated the Republic’s sovereignty.

The President reiterated that the management of the country’s natural resources rests with the internationally recognized government in Cyprus, acting on behalf of all the island’s legal citizens.

Consequently, actions that question the sovereign rights of the Republic of Cyprus, on the pretext of protecting the rights of the Turkish Cypriots, are not only incommensurate with international law, but are also groundless.”

Although the Turkish operations are taking place within international waters, any activity by foreign nations beneath the water surface (such as surveys, depth soundings and data gathering) inside Cyprus’ EEZ is prohibited. Hmmm........'Bully' Turkey in it's natural state

Related:  

EU Parliament urges 'Bully' Turkey to stop maritime surveys for gas in Cyprus Exclusive Zone

Turkey’s EU Minister Volkan Bozkır said on Nov. 13 that Ankara will “not accept” the European Parliament’s decision on the resolution. 

“It has no validity for us,” said EU Minister Volkan Bozkır, in reference to the draft resolution, during a meeting with Hungary’s minister of foreign affairs and trade in Ankara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...