Saturday, March 28, 2015
Iranian source Dismisses Reuters Report on Draft N. Deal.
Iranian source Dismisses Reuters Report on Draft N. Deal. (Fars).
A source close to the Iranian team of nuclear negotiators with the Group 5+1 (the US, Russia, China, France and Britain plus Germany) categorically rejected a Reuters' report on a draft nuclear deal between Tehran and the world powers.
“Intensive negotiations with the G5+1 are continuing at all levels to achieve solutions to different issues,” the source told FNA.
The source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, dismissed the Reuters' report as groundless and media hype.
On Friday, Reuters quoted officials as saying that Iran and the six-party nations were close to an agreement on a 2- or 3-page agreement with specific numbers that would form the basis of a long-term settlement aimed at putting an end to Iran-G5+1 nuclear standoff.
Reuters alleged that a senior Iranian official familiar with the talks had said that Iran and the world powers were very, very close to the final step and it could be signed or agreed and announced verbally. Meantime, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif underlined that major differences are still in place in the nuclear debates between Tehran and the G5+1, adding that striking a final deal depends on the political will of the other side.
"We are not close to a deal as reaching a comprehensive agreement needs political will and choosing between pressure and agreement," Zarif told reporters in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Friday night.
"We are proceeding, we still have work to do and we are trying hard," he added.
He reiterated that both sides can definitely find solutions, but reaching a solution requires political will from the opposite side.
“The reason why I emphasize the other side’s political will is that the Islamic Republic of Iran has the political will at the highest levels," he added.
Also, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araqchi said Tehran and the six powers are trying hard to strike a final deal, but differences are still in place.
"Differences still persist on some issues as we are trying to get our views closer to each other," Araqchi, also Iran's deputy chief negotiator in the talks with the world powers, told reporters on Friday night.
Asked if the two sides are likely to strike a final in Lausanne in the coming days, the Iranian deputy foreign minister responded, "We hope so and we will stay in Lausanne until the last minute and we will try… ."
Araqchi, meantime, said that the foreign ministers of Iran and G5+1 are likely to meet in Lausanne in coming days and there could be a sum up meeting at the UN headquarters in Geneva if such a meeting proves necessary. Earlier on Friday, Araqchi said there was still a serious gap between Tehran and the western powers.
"All differences are serious and we are trying to reduce these differences," Araqchi told reporters in Lausanne.
"… we are still hopeful and optimistic, but it is still soon to state if we will be able to obtain a solution on all issues or not," he added.
He noted that both sides are trying to reach a solution on all issues first and then write down the solutions in black and white in the coming months.
Araqchi pointed to the Iran-G5+1 meetings on Friday, and said, "Bilateral and multilateral meetings at the level of experts, deputy FMs, and FMs will be held today and we hope these meetings lead to progress in the negotiations." He noted that the Iranian negotiators will stay in Lausanne as long as needed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment