'Advanced Islamist Democracy' Turkey blocks Twitter, YouTube over hostage photos. (BBC).
A Turkish court has ordered blocks on Twitter and YouTube for sharing photos of a hostage taken during an armed siege last week.
The blocks have been imposed because images of a deadly siege were being shared via the social networks.
Before imposing the blocks on the websites, Turkish authorities had moved to stop newspapers printing images taken during the siege last week.
The newspapers were accused by the government of disseminating "terrorist propaganda" for the DHKP-C group that was reportedly behind the attack on the courthouse.
In total, 166 websites which shared the images were blocked by the court order.
YouTube published the text of the court ruling on its website saying an "administration measure" had been enacted by Turkey's telecoms authority.
Facebook was also subject to the same block but it is believed the restrictions on it have been lifted after it removed the images. Hmmmm.....How much longer will EU politicians allow the 'Islamist dictator' to trample human values and rights in order to get cheap gas?Read the full story here.
Social media inaccessible for many users in #Turkey. Hurriyet says access providers got prosecutor order to block YouTube, Facebook, Twitter
— Benjamin Harvey (@BenjaminHarvey) April 6, 2015
Erdogan spokesman says #Turkey's social media ban has nothing to do with freedom of speech, curbed freedoms
— Lucy Kafanov (@LucyKafanov) April 6, 2015
Erdogan spokesman blames "irresponsible" news outlets for Twitter, YouTube ban. Says publishing hostage pics amounts to terrorist propaganda
— Lucy Kafanov (@LucyKafanov) April 6, 2015
#Turkey's ban on Twitter, YouTube come as 7 Turkish newspapers investigated for "terrorist propaganda" in publishing slain prosecutor photo
— Lucy Kafanov (@LucyKafanov) April 6, 2015
No comments:
Post a Comment