Top Leader of Egyptian ISIS Copycat Killed in Sinai. (INN).
A top leader of Egypt’s most active Islamist
terrorist group, Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, was killed by Egyptian soldiers in the
north of the Sinai Peninsula.
The Reuters news agency, citing a
military spokesman, reported that the incident took place on Friday.
The spokesman said the leader, Shehata Farhan,
was implicated in operations targeting police and security forces and was killed
during a raid in the town of Rafah, near the border with Gaza.
Egypt said last week it had killed a field commander of Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, Mohammad Abu
Shatiya, in clashes south of Rafah.
Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis has killed hundreds of
Egyptian soldiers and police over the last year, since the ouster of Muslim
Brotherhood President Mohammed Morsi, and beheaded several people in recent weeks, saying they were
spies for Israeli intelligence.
Among the attacks claimed by the group since the
ouster of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi was the
assassination of a top Egyptian police general, who was gunned down as he
left his home in a west Cairo neighborhood, and a
bus bombing on a tour bus filled with South Korean tourists in the
Sinai.
The group has also claimed responsibility for several rocket attacks that targeted the Israeli resort city
of Eilat.
Egyptian security officials have said Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis has contacts with the Islamic State (IS or ISIS).
No comments:
Post a Comment