Showing posts with label United states. Show all posts
Showing posts with label United states. Show all posts

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Moscow considers extradition of Russian Citizen to U.S. from Finland unacceptable.


Moscow considers extradition of Russian Citizen to U.S. from Finland unacceptable. (RBTH).

Moscow is concerned by the information it received from Finland about the detention of Russian national Yu.V. Yefremov carried out at the U.S. request, considers his extradition to the U.S. as unacceptable, the Russian foreign ministry said.


"We call the Finnish side to strictly observe all constitutional guarantees, international law rules in the area of human rights and consular relations with respect to Yefremov.
We consider unacceptable any extradition of Yefremov to the U.S. where he may face an openly politicized and biased American Justice, as many other Russians already have, and may be subjected to unlawful measures of physical and psychological pressure in order to retrieve a needed testimony," Russian Foreign Ministry Ombudsman for Human Rights, Democracy and the Rule of Law Konstantin Dolgov said in a commentary.
"We expect Helsinki to take into account our multiple representations made in this regard. The Russian embassy in Finland will continue to provide Yefremov with consular and legal assistance, as necessary, to press for observation of his rights and lawful interests," Dolgov said.

"This is already the fourth such case in Finland so far this year," he recalled.


"We again encounter the extra-territorial application of the U.S. law to a Russian national in contradiction with the universally-recognized rules of international law.

Washington stubbornly persists to neglect the bilateral treaty on reciprocal judicial assistance in criminal cases signed in 1999, which stipulates for a clear mechanism of an exchange of information about individuals suspected of committing crimes," Dolgov said.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Female genital mutilation on the rise in the United States-report.


Female genital mutilation on the rise in the United States-report.HT: Trust.By Lisa Anderson.
NEW YORK (TrustLaw) - The ancient, brutal practice of female genital mutilation (FGM), once considered primarily a problem of the developing world, is a growing threat to girls and women in the United States, according to a new report.
The United States has longstanding laws against the practice of FGM on U.S. soil and in January, passed a federal law against sending young women outside the country for so-called "vacation cutting".
However, girls living in America increasingly are at risk of the procedure both at home and abroad, according to research by Sanctuary for Families.
The New York City-based non-profit organisation, which specialises in gender-based violence, said up to 200,000 girls and women in the United States are at risk of FGM and that the number is growing.
"People in the United States think that FGM only happens to people outside of the United States, but in all actuality, people here all over the country have been through FGM," said Jaha, 23, formerly from Gambia and now a survivor and advocate against FGM.
"Kids that were born in this country are taken back home every summer and undergo this procedure," she was quoted as saying in the report.

The study cited analysis of data from the 2000 census that found between 1990 and 2000 the number of girls and women in the United States at risk of the procedure - which involves the partial or total removal of external female genitalia - increased by 35 percent.

Most prevalent in immigrant African and Middle Eastern communities, FGM generally originates in the belief by some cultures that it preserves a girl's virginity before marriage and discourages her from promiscuity after she is wed. In many communities, a girl is deemed unfit for marriage if she has not undergone FGM.
The report said FGM has been performed in the United States by health care providers who support FGM or do not want to question families' cultural practices.
Whether performed covertly on U.S. soil or in ceremonies held in ancestral homelands during school vacations, the procedure often is done by traditional practitioners using crude implements, such as razor blades and broken glass. They often operate in unsanitary conditions, far from medical facilities, without anaesthesia, antiseptics or antibiotics.
The physical and psychological effects can be devastating and even fatal. FGM can cause severe pain during sexual intercourse, haemorrhage, shock, complications in childbirth and fistula. It can also lead to depression and anxiety.
"FGM has affected me emotionally throughout my entire life. Those terrible moments stay with me and I just cannot forget them," a 53-year-old woman named Nafissatou, originally from Guinea, told researchers.
"When I went to the hospital to give birth to my children, my experience with FGM was what I remembered most. Every time I shower, I think about it. There is a sadness and emptiness I fell every day because of what FGM took from me," she said.

The United Nations last December called for a global ban on FGM, but, as with laws in the United States, implementation is extremely difficult and, to date, prosecutions have been rare.
The United States has had a law against FGM since 1996 and 20 states have passed their own statutes. But, according to the report, as of 2012, there have been no prosecutions under federal law, and only one criminal case has been brought forward under a state statute.
One problem is that families in the United States, even those who oppose FGM for their daughters, often find themselves under severe pressure from their extended families to subject girls to the procedure.
Another obstacle is a lack of reporting of FGM either by victims, girls at risk or their families. Part of the reason may be due to ignorance of the law, the report found.Read the full story here.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Iran-US direct talks unavoidable


Iran-US direct talks unavoidable.(TI).Following in the footsteps of several top Iranian officials, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad welcomed U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's offer for direct talks between the two nations on Wednesday.
Ahmadinejad's welcome came simultaneously with the implementation of new U.S. sanctions on Iran which were approved by the Senate and received President Barak Obama's signature on Feb.6.
However, regarding a deadline on Iran's disputed nuclear program and the continued worsening of the Iranian economy, Tehran may be convinced that there is no way out except for direct negotiations with Washington. Iranian oil revenue abroad frozen by sanctions on the banking sector has reached $100 billion, according to Hamid Safdel deputy of Industry, Mine and Trade Minister.
Iran is preparing to launch a bartering committee to solve the problem. According to a new round of U.S. sanctions which is expected to take force today, Iran would be unable to collect and transfer any money from abroad to the country regardless of currency.
Ahmadinejad said in a meeting with the editors-in-chief of the Egyptian media in Cairo on Tuesday night that Iran will study US proposal for direct talks provided that Washington makes positive changes in its behavior.
"Such remarks by US officials are new and positive and we hope that these positive changes are seen in their behavior too. If we witness positive changes in their behavior, we will study their proposal with a positive attitude," Press TV quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.
Biden's offer is not new. Obama has called Iran to direct talks since 2008 without hearing any positive response, but this time, it seems Iran is truly ready because the country's economy is on the verge of collapse.
Direct talks may be not favorable to the Arab states and Israel, but Obama allegedly has plans to make his first trip since 2008 (the first trip of his presidency) to Israel on March 20. In light of the political demise of close Washington ally Hosni Mubarak and the ascent of the potentially threatening Muslim Brotherhood, Tel-Aviv might give the green light to direct Iran- U.S. talks. Due to the lack of any diplomatic relations between Washington and Tehran and their 33 years' worth of accumulated hostilities, talks may take a long time, however direct talks are unavoidable and the two sides both know this very well.Hmmmm.....Great way for Ahmadinejad to leave the political spotlight with a bang?Read the full story here.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

White House Denies Secession Petitions, Cites Civil War Deaths.


White House Denies Secession Petitions, Cites Civil War Deaths.(AP).Director of Public Engagement for the White House, Jon Carson, finally responded to secession petitions on the White House website.

Instead of addressing each of the state petitions, of which there where several that met the 25,000 signature response level, he responded to an anti-secession petition titled “Deport Everyone That Signed A Petition To Withdraw Their State From The United States Of America.”

Petitions for states to secede were denied citing that “more than 600,000 Americans died in a long and bloody civil war that vindicated the principle that the Constitution establishes a permanent union between the States.”

The claim is that secession appears to not be allowed under the Constitution, and that the result of any such secession attempt would result in many dead Americans.

Here is the White House response in it’s entirety:

In a nation of 300 million people — each with their own set of deeply-held beliefs — democracy can be noisy and controversial. And that’s a good thing. Free and open debate is what makes this country work, and many people around the world risk their lives every day for the liberties we often take for granted.

But as much as we value a healthy debate, we don’t let that debate tear us apart.

Our founding fathers established the Constitution of the United States ‘in order to form a more perfect union’ through the hard and frustrating but necessary work of self-government. They enshrined in that document the right to change our national government through the power of the ballot — a right that generations of Americans have fought to secure for all. But they did not provide a right to walk away from it. As President Abraham Lincoln explained in his first inaugural address in 1861, ‘in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution the Union of these States is perpetual.’ In the years that followed, more than 600,000 Americans died in a long and bloody civil war that vindicated the principle that the Constitution establishes a permanent union between the States. And shortly after the Civil War ended, the Supreme Court confirmed that ‘[t]he Constitution, in all its provisions, looks to an indestructible Union composed of indestructible States.

Although the founders established a perpetual union, they also provided for a government that is, as President Lincoln would later describe it, ‘of the people, by the people, and for the people’ — all of the people. Participation in, and engagement with, government is the cornerstone of our democracy. And because every American who wants to participate deserves a government that is accessible and responsive, the Obama Administration has created a host of new tools and channels to connect concerned citizens with White House. In fact, one of the most exciting aspects of the We the People platform is a chance to engage directly with our most outspoken critics.

So let’s be clear: No one disputes that our country faces big challenges, and the recent election followed a vigorous debate about how they should be addressed. As President Obama said the night he won re-election, ‘We may have battled fiercely, but it’s only because we love this country deeply and we care so strongly about its future.’

Although the secession movement stirred notable support among those who feel disenfranchised by the federal government, it’s unclear whether it would have been a positive exercise in sovereignty or used as a tool for divide-and-rule.

At any rate, it appears that the Obama Administration is not going to let states out of the Union, at least not without a fight.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

US warns Europeans on 'Palestinian' UN non-member status .


US warns Europeans on 'Palestinian' UN non-member status.HT: IsraelMatzav.Unwilling to face a showdown with Congress immediately upon starting a second term (God forbid), the United States has warned the European Union not to back a 'Palestinian' bid for non-member status at the United Nations. Under US law, if such a motion were to be voted on in the United Nations General Assembly (where it would almost certainly pass), the United States would be required to cut off all monetary aid to the 'Palestinian Authority' and probably to the United Nations as well.
The memorandum – described by one diplomatic source as "private correspondence" – said the US was continuing to work for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and urged both parties "to avoid provocative one-sided actions that could undermine trust or otherwise distract from the pursuit of peace". A Palestinian resolution on non-member state status "would have significant negative consequences, for the peace process itself, for the UN system, as well as our ability to maintain our significant financial support for the Palestinian Authority".
It added that a successful resolution could lead to Palestinian participation as a state in international bodies such as the international criminal court. Israel is concerned that Palestinian recourse to the ICC could have repercussions for its policies on settlements, the occupation of the West Bank and the blockade of Gaza. "We believe your government understands what is at stake here, and – like us – wants to avoid a collision at the coming UNGA session," said the text. "We hope you are willing to support our efforts … We would appreciate knowing where your government stands on this issue. We would also be interested in knowing whether you have been approached on this matter by Palestinian representatives."
 ... There were differing views among European countries on the wisdom of the Palestinians' move, the diplomat added. "The closer we get to the prospect of a vote in the UN general assembly, the more concerned the US administration is likely to be. This letter is an expression of their well-known position against such a vote. But if we are to persuade Abbas not to pull the trigger, a serious alternative needs to be put on the table, and fast." A second European diplomat said the US had "made it very clear to all of us that they're opposed to any [Palestinian] move at the UN". He also criticised the Palestinians for not engaging in "serious, high-level diplomacy" on the issue. Some European countries are alarmed at the prospect of the US withdrawing financial support for the Palestinian Authority in the wake of a bid for upgraded status, fearing that the EU would have to fill the funding gap. Following the Palestinians' acceptance as a state by the United Nations cultural and heritage body, Unesco, the US cut off funding as a punitive measure. The US had contributed 22% of Unesco's annual budget. Discussions among European governments on whether to support the Palestinians' bid are due to be held this week. However the 27 member states are unlikely to forge a common line. A vote giving the ''Palestinians' non-member status at the UN could be a blessing in disguise. It won't do anything to advance their 'statehood,' but it could bring about the financial ruin of the United Nations.Heh.Read the full story here.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

World’s First Genetically Modified Babies 'Made In The U.S.A.'


World’s First Genetically Modified Babies 'Made In The U.S.A.'(NS).By Anthony Gucciardi.In a developing story, the Daily Mail is now reporting that the very first (admitted) group of genetically modified babies have been ‘created’ in the United States. The scientists involved reportedly announced the result on the night of June 27th, stating that 30 babies were born using genetic modification techniques. Furthermore, 2 of the babies tested were found to contain genes from a total of 3 different parents. The experiment also lasted over 3 years or more according to the researchers, which may be one of many.
The ‘GM babies’ were born into women who had trouble conceiving their own children. In order to ‘birth’ the babies, extra genes from a female donor were inserted into the women’s eggs before they were fertilized. After conception, scientists fingerprinted 2 of the one-year-old children and confirmed that they inherited DNA from 3 adults — one man and 2 women. What this means is that due to inheriting these extra genes through the genetic modification process, they will now be able to pass them along to their offspring. In other words, these genetically modified babies — if allowed to mate with non-GM humans — could potentially alter the very genetic coding of generations to come.
Genetecists state that this genetic modification method may one day be used to create babies “with extra, desired characteristics such as strength or high intelligence.”
The news comes after it was previously reported by British scientists that scientists were creating human-animal ‘monsters’. Such reports highlight the fact that rampant genetic experimentation is already taking place on many humans around the world, which has led a large number of scientists to call for new rules regarding the outlandish practice. Chinese scientists have already admittedly inserted human stem cells into goat fetuses, and United States researchers have actively researched the concept of engineering a mouse with human brain cells.
Many experts are now speaking out against the announcement, including leading fertility experts and major organizations. John Smeaton, national director of the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, said:
"It is a further and very worrying step down the wrong road for humanity."Read the full story here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...