Kerry pretending to push reluctant Turkey for greater cooperation against ISIS. (HD).
John Kerry's visit to Ankara came one day after Turkey refused to sign a communiqué in a counter-terrorism meeting in Jeddah on Thursday. Kerry and Çavuşoğlu were both in Jeddah on that day for a counter-terrorism meeting, where Saudi Arabia, other Gulf states, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon agreed to cooperate against ISIL, take steps to stop foreign fighters going to Iraq and Syria and funds going to ISIL, provide humanitarian aid and contribute to different aspects of the military campaign.
While the Arab allies signed the final communiqué, NATO ally Turkey did not. A Turkish foreign ministry official did not comment on the reasons behind Turkey's reluctance but said that they may issue a statement later on.
Turkey reportedly had been asked during these meetings to seal its borders to prevent foreign fighters coming and going into Syria through its territory and to take measures to prevent oil smuggling.
Turkey claims that its hands are tied due to the 46 Turkish citizens and three Iraqis who were kidnapped by ISIL from Turkey's Consulate General in Mosul about three months ago. Turkish officials have imposed a gag order on the Turkish media over the hostage issue, claiming that they do not want news stories putting the hostages' lives at risk. With this move, the government has effectively prevented the press from questioning any failures by Turkish officials in this issue.
The Kerry-Erdoğan meeting lasted about two-and-a-half hours. Sources from President Erdoğan's office said Turkey will continue to cooperate with the US against all terrorist organizations in the region, according to the state-run Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT) station on Friday following the meeting.
Main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) Bursa deputy Aykan Erdemir has said Turkey's position toward ISIL is not clear. During a press conference at Parliament on Friday Erdemir said: “There are at least 1,000 Turkish citizens that have been recruited by ISIL. However it's not clear if Turkey will make any contribution to the coalition against ISIL.
Turkey appears to be siding with ISIL rather than being against ISIL.” He also criticized Turkey's not signing the Jeddah communique against ISIL and asked if Prime Minister Davutoğlu is confused about whether or not ISIL is a terrorist organization. Read the full story here.
Hmmm....Whoever gave the order for the consulate staff to stay put in Mosul, made a master move, Tied so called NATO 'Ally' Turkey his hands to help, and provided a liaison group with ISIS. My guess it was Fidan, Erdogan isn't that sharp.
Failure to evacuate Turkish consulate in Mosul was reportedly attributed to PM Erdoğan after false assurances that staff won’t be harmed
— Abdullah Bozkurt (@abdbozkurt) June 14, 2014
Turkish foreign ministry’s emergency advisory that Mosul consulate must be evacuated was apparently overruled by senior political leadership
— Abdullah Bozkurt (@abdbozkurt) June 14, 2014
Turkey Dep FM: We don't think that our ppl at Mosul consulate were taken as hostages as #ISIL demanded nothing in exchange for their release
— NOT MY... (@Meralink) June 15, 2014
KRG’s PM Necirvan Barzani tells @asliaydintasbas: I warned Turkish Consulate Gen in Mosul twice,but he said they don’t need help be4 IS raid
— ilhan tanir (@WashingtonPoint) September 8, 2014
Barzani, “We offered to help evacuate the Mosul consulate twice, but were told that the consulate ok (my paraphrase)” http://t.co/nDGHEjwlzw
— Aaron Stein (@aaronstein1) September 8, 2014
No comments:
Post a Comment