Showing posts with label Ankara. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Ankara. Show all posts

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Explosion rocks Turkish capital Ankara, ‘many casualties’ reported.


Explosion rocks Turkish capital Ankara, ‘many casualties’ reported. (RT).

An explosion hit the center of Ankara on Sunday evening, with a number of people reportedly killed and wounded.

A senior security official told the news agency that a blast occurred near Guven Park in the city center.

The cause of the explosion is so far unknown, the official added.

Ambulances could be seen at the scene, while the security official told Reuters that there are casualties, both killed and injured.

Turkish broadcaster NTV reported "many dead." Read the full story here.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Turkey - Ankara 2 buses carrying military personnel near the military barracks targeted in an car bomb attack.


Turkey - Ankara 2 buses carrying military personnel near the military barracks targeted in an car bomb attack.


Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Somali plane bomber used 'fake' letter from Somali Embassy in Ankara, Turkey.


Somali plane bomber used 'fake' letter from Somali Embassy in Ankara, Turkey. (AP).

Abdullahi Abdisalam Borleh  said he was going abroad for health reasons, according to Sheikh Mohamed Abdullahi, a mosque imam in Hargeisa near where Borleh was from, and who met with him in January. Abdullahi estimated Borleh's age at between 50 and 52, described him as "chatty," and said that he had a leg problem that required him to sometimes walk with a cane.

A Somali federal official recommended that the government issue Borleh a passport, said a senior intelligence official in Somaliland, the autonomous region where Borleh was from. Borleh had been on security agents' radar, "but we had never considered him to be dangerous," the official told The Associated Press by phone from Hargeisa, Somaliland's capital. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

Officials are also looking at a lead that runs straight to Somalia's foreign ministry.

A senior Somali immigration official said Borleh had obtained a Turkish visa to work in Turkey as a foreign ministry adviser, and provided the AP with a copy of a letter allegedly sent from the Somali Embassy in Ankara, Turkey, to the Turkish Embassy in Somalia's capital. The letter asked the Turkish Embassy to facilitate a visa for Borleh to be "an adviser to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Investment Promotions."

But the Somali Embassy in Ankara denied making such a request to the Turkish Embassy in Mogadishu and called the document a fake. The Somali Foreign Ministry and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Investment Promotion Abdusalam H. Omer did not comment, despite repeated requests from AP over five days.

It is possible that al-Shabab, in a display of sophisticated deception, wrote the letter on official or official-looking stationery and sent it to the Turkish Embassy. The embassy declined to comment to AP on whether it had received the letter or acted on it.

Having the visa would have been key to getting aboard a flight, which originally was on Turkish Airlines. In its statement claiming responsibility, al-Shabab lashed out at Turkey, which has been a strong supporter of the Somali government.

The flight on Feb. 2 was supposed to have been on Turkish Airlines, but the airline canceled because of bad weather from a previous departure point, and Dubai-based Daallo Airlines was instead used. Flight 159 consequently took off an hour late, a delay which may have saved the passengers and crew.

Borleh taught the Quran and Islamic ethics to local children but acquaintances said he didn't discuss politics. He favored a long mustache and usually wore trousers cut to just below the knee. He was married and had children, though how many isn't clear.

"He was a normal and humorous man, and he rarely talked about persecutions against Muslims in East Africa," said a local journalist who met Borleh before he travelled to Mogadishu. Hmmm......In the past the Turkish IHH had no problem dealing with Al Shabab, i would look in that direction. Read the full story here.

Related:
On somaliareport - Turkish Aid Officials Meet with Al-Shabaab.
Somali officials welcomed a delegation from Turkey as a Turkish ship carrying 250 tons of food aid for drought affected Somalis arrived in Mogadishu’s sea port and Turkish relief officials met with al-Shabaab in Lower Shabelle.
The head of the Turkish Humanitarian Aid Foundation (IHH), Sardash Jam, his deputy, Mr. Murad, and the head of the Turkish Airways, Dr. Jampl Kutiki, along with 210 other Turkish delegates arrived at Mogadishu’s Aden Adde International Airport.
“We have decided to help our brothers and sisters who have been crippled by prolonged drought and war in the recent years. We know that many internally displaced families were coming here to Mogadishu from the neighboring regions of Bay, Bakol and Lower Shabelle where famine has been reported,” said IHH Chairman Sardash Jam.

Meanwhile reliable information obtained by Somalia Report confirmed late on Monday that the IHH Deputy Chairman, Mr. Murad, along with 2 other Turkish officials have reached al-Shabaab controlled N50 IDPs camp Aala-Yasir in the Lower Shabelle region.

The source confirmed that the Turks met with al-Shabaab official, Sheekh Hassan Abu- Ayman, who is responsible for the Bay and Bakol regions.

The Turkish members moved from government controlled areas of Mogadishu through Sarkuusta Checkpoint near the Ex-control Checkpoint in the southwest area of the capital. Somali government troops reportedly escorted the Turkish delegates until they reached Sarkuusta.

From there the Turkish delegates managed to travel into the rebel held areas. According to the same source, the Turkish aid workers were escorted by a large, armed convoy believed to be carrying some al-Shabaab fighters.

The IHH members are reportedly in the al-Shabaab camps to observe, but sources told Somalia Report that the members addressed hundreds of IDPs at the Aala-Yasir camp.

"Three Muslim Turkish brothers visited our controlled territories in Lower Shabelle region to help the internally displaced people at the Aala-Yasir Camp,” said senior al-Shabaab official Sheikh Hassan Abu Ayman. “They brought us aid and pledged more and we will be grateful for their assistance."

Turkish aid workers who visited Aala-Yasir camp said a local NGO called Zam-zam, which often operates in the districts controlled by the Islamist militia, has also been collaborating with IHH.
IHH Delivers Aid to Somali Terrorist Group Al Shabab.












Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Turkey - Purchase of US planes by Ankara mayor owned company suspended after found to be suspicious.


Turkey - Purchase of US planes by Ankara mayor owned company suspended after found to be suspicious. (TZ).

A local public company ordered seven planes from a US aircraft company but the delivery was suspended after suspicions emerged over the purchase, Republican People's Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Gürsel Tekin has said.

In a written statement on Monday, Tekin said Belko Air, an affiliate of the Ankara Metropolitan Municipality, had ordered seven planes from the Cessna Aircraft Company but the purchase was suspended after the Turkish Foreign Ministry and security institutions found it suspicious.

Tekin said Belko officials demanded that Cessna not list the company's name on its invoice.

Belko suggested the US company prepare the invoice in such a way that showed the seven planes purchased by a US citizen and leased to Belko, according to Tekin. Cessna found the request of the Turkish company suspicious and contacted the US Embassy in Ankara to ask its opinion about the purchase, said Tekin.

The purchase of the planes was suspended after the issue was communicated to the Turkish Foreign Ministry and security institutions, who are currently examining the suspicious purchase.


Tekin also said Belko demanded Cessna increase the range of the planes by adding more fuel capacity and improving their landing gears.

In the statement, Tekin said he has submitted a parliamentary inquiry asking Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu to explain the suspicious purchase. “What purposes will the planes will be used for? Why were [the planes] asked to be modified? ... Why did Cessna officials asked information from the Foreign Ministry and security institutions?” asked Tekin.

The chairman of Belko Air  is Ankara mayor and AKP member Melih_Gökçek

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Video - Turkey - At least 30 killed, 126 injured in suspected suicide bomb in Ankara. Live updates.



At least 30 killed, 126 injured in suspected suicide bomb in Ankara.(BUGUN).

Party leader Selahattin Demirtaş was the intended target?

An explosion went off at 10.00 am local time (7.00 am GMT) as people began gathering on Hipodrom Avenue in front of the Ankara Train Station Saturday morning for a ‘Labor, Peace, Democracy’ anti-war rally that was to take place in the afternoon.

Local media is reporting that the attacks were suicide bombings. Government officials have directly referred to the deadly bombing as a “terrorist attack” and have announced that they are investigating claims that a suicide bomber was responsible.

Doğan News Agency is says that there are at least 20 dead alongside hundreds of injured. Eyewitnesses told Turkey's state-run Anadolu Agency that they observed human flesh all over the scene.

Emergency medical teams rushed to the site as early as 10.05 am local time (7.05 am GMT).

The historic train station also suffered major damage.

Organized by the Confederation of Public Sector Trade Unions (KESK), the peace rally was to include members of Confederation of Progressive Trade Unions (DİSK), Turkish Union of Engineers and Architects' Chambers (TMMOB), the Turkish Doctor's Association (TTB) and the pro-Kurdish, leftwing People’s Democratic Party (HDP). The event has been cancelled by the organizers.

Saturday’s bombing brings to mind dual blasts during an HDP election rally in June in the predominantly Kurdish city of Diyarbakır.

The blasts occurred five minutes apart at the event just as party leader Selahattin Demirtaş was preparing to address the crowd of tens of thousands. 4 died and hundreds injured in the attack. Hmmm....I see a civil war breaking out soon, unless the dictator flees as soon he realizes he's loosing the elections. Read the full story here.





















Saturday, February 2, 2013

Body likely belonging to missing US woman Sarai Sierra found in Istanbul.

                                                    DAILY NEWS photo, Emrah GÜREL

Body likely belonging to missing US woman Sarai Sierra found in Istanbul.(HD).(CBS).The body of a missing American woman in her thirties was discovered near the city walls in the Sarayburnu district of Istanbul earlier today as security forces detained at least 10 people as part of an investigation into the disappearance of Sarai Sierra, who has been missing since Jan. 21.
Senior police sources said Sierra might have been stabbed to death in her abdomen and sent her body to the forensics department for an autopsy. The victim's clothing, an extra pair of shoes she was carrying with her, bottles of alcohol and a broken piece of glass found at the crime scene were all sent to the Istanbul police department for further examination.
Private broadcaster NTV reported that police also found Sierra’s drivers license next to the body, but the Hürriyet Daily News couldn’t confirm the report with police.
Sierra's family last made contact with her on Jan. 21, the day before she was supposed to fly back to the United States. The 33-year-old mother of two had been on vacation alone in Turkey since Jan. 7. CBS News reporter Laura Wells in Istanbul reports that the police said the nine people who were detained were at the scene when the body was found with Sierra's driver's license near the Four Seasons Hotel.
Authorities believe that the woman whose body was found was probably stabbed elsewhere and was then left at the city walls, Wells reports.
The location where the body was found is a few kilometers away from the bridge. It is near a major road that runs alongside the Sea of Marmara and offers an iconic view to visitors of dozens of tankers and other vessels waiting to access the Bosporus strait. Police stopped traffic on the road as forensic police inspected the area.
Anadolu suggested Sierra may have been killed at another location and that her body may have been brought to the site to be hidden amid the city walls.
A police official on the site told journalists two of those detained were women. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters on the case.
Foto's of the crime scene can be seen here, video here, Read the full story here.

Related: Missing American woman Sarai Sierra seen by witnesses in Istanbul, some 3,000 adults have gone missing recently

Video - Turkish Police search for missing American woman Sarai Sierra last Turkish contacts, she was last seen on security cameras in Istanbul.

Friday, February 1, 2013

U.S. Embassy in Ankara attack carried out by Suicide bomber member of an outlawed leftist group, Turkish Interior Minister.


U.S. Embassy in Ankara attack carried out by Suicide bomber member of an outlawed leftist group, Turkish Interior Minister.(HD).A suicide bomb attack at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, killed one Turkish security guard along with the attacker, Ankara Gov. Aladdin Yüksel said.
A woman, who was at the embassy for business, was also injured, Yüksel said.
The explosion occurred at the entrance used by embassy personnel and their visitors, CNNTürk reported. A security guard working the X-ray machine at the embassy's entrance was killed in the explosion, which occurred as the suspected suicide bomber was passing through the machine, the report said.
The suicide bomber who killed one person and wounded another today in an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Ankara is a member of an outlawed leftist group, Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Güler told reporters.
Although Güler did not name the group, reports said the attacker was a 30-year-old member of the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C). The suspect, named as Ecevit Şanlı, spent time in prison in the past, the reports added.
A security guard who also died in the attack has been identified as Mustafa Akarsu, 36, the minister said.
Didem Tuncay, a 38-year-old former broadcast journalist, was also heavily injured in the attack, Güler said.
The attack destroyed the entrance to the embassy building, he said, adding that the force of the explosion left body parts strewn around the scene.
Today's attack bears remarkable similarity to a suicide bomb attack on a police station in Istanbul’s Sultangazi district on Sept. 11, 2012, that killed a police officer and the attacker.
The suicide bomber was later identified as İbrahim Çuhadar, who was said to be a known member of the outlawed DHKP/C. Çuhadar had previously served eight months in prison for participating in illegal demonstrations.
Seven people, including four police officers and three civilians, were also injured in the bombing at the 75.Yıl Police Station last year.
The suicide bomber set off the explosives he was wearing after throwing a grenade into the police station, killing one police officer and wounding four others at the entry,” Istanbul police chief Hüseyin Çapkın said soon after the attack.
The dead police officer was identified as Bülent Özkan. It was learned that Özkan was preparing for his wedding, which was scheduled to take place five days after the incident.
Çuhadar reportedly passed the outer gate and walked up a flight of stairs leading to the main entrance of the police station at around 11 a.m. The man then entered through the door and stopped short of an X-ray machine placed just past the entrance. There he lobbed a hand grenade toward the police officers at the reception desk, but the device failed to explode. Özkan managed to fire two shots at Çuhadar but was unable to stop the man from detonating his explosives.Read the full story here, more here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...